assessing the landscape
After understanding the goals of the site, my first step was to see how other successful insurance companies had positioned themselves through branding and website user experience. This discovery phase is coupled with design research. I visited a number of boards, portfolios and blogs for design and code examples that might help me with my growing vision to create a strong and modern UI that conveys confidence and assurance.
My next step was to quickly iterate these ideas as rough sketches to see which might hold promise. These helped to organize my thoughts in terms of content structure and flow. It also provides a framework for me to anticipate what imagery and content I should request from the client and which photos we need to source ourselves. I regularly take notes listing objectives and adjectives that encompass the brand. To obtain greatest efficiency I follow a set streamlined process, but I also try to stay flexible to each client's particular needs.
presenting the layout
After the internal team had challenged and refined my ideas I made further adjustments before creating and presenting higher fidelity wireframes to the client. By working in Adobe XD I was able to create and prototype user flows in order to show how each page relates to the other. I managed the online prototype links which also catalogued client feedback.
I was involved in every aspect of this website design including UI, UX, photo editing, illustration and animation. We outsourced the photography but I directed the shots as I pictured them working on the site. By shooting portrait shots on a green screen we gained the flexibility to add future employees to the same background for a consistent feel. All indications pointed to a more mature user demographic so at the desktop breakpoint I decided to use a familiar fixed vertical navigation in order to keep menu options top of mind.