The team's existing design process was pretty open and loose, with no specific process for web design previous to my involvement, so I established many of the expectations for design rounds, design tools and review on this project and others. After our developer built the site in Wordpress, I went through a two stage quality assurance process. Stage one involved meticulously analyzing and detailing the front-end desktop and mobile page designs within a single browser for visual errors as well as calling out back-end optimizations to make it user friendly for the client. Once the glaring issues were resolved, stage two began with a complete browser test to ensure that nothing was inherently broken. I used a variety of tools including Skitch, Dropbox and ToDoist to catalogue bugs and ensure they were resolved.